Nominations are now open for the 2023 IVAN Founder’s Award, which will be presented at this year’s IVAN meeting on Saturday, April 15, 2023, the day before the Asilomar ENC. Please submit your nomination by email to email@example.com any time before Friday March 10, 2023, using the nomination instructions below. Nominations will be accepted from any individual or group associated with the magnetic resonance community, without regard to current IVAN membership.
The purpose of the IVAN Founder’s Award is to recognize one or more individuals who have alone or together demonstrated excellence in support of the magnetic resonance user community, recognizing the service mission of IVAN beyond normal scientific contribution. The recipients’ contribution may be demonstrated within their organization and/or with members of the greater NMR community. See the advice in making a nomination below for suggestions of eligible accomplishments.
The selection committee now consists of IVAN Sponsor, Jon Webb, and the IVAN founding members (Dan Iverson, David Rice and Krish Krishnamurthy) along with the first two award recipients, listed below. In future years, the committee will continue adding the previous year’s recipient. We will begin rotating out a member after four recipients have joined the committee. The selection procedure and rotation of committee members will be self-governed by the committee.
The prize consists of a cash award and a trophy to each recipient. Last year’s award was $2500.00 and a nifty rotating MOVA globe resembling our logo. This year’s award will be the same.
The mission of the IVAN user group is to “inspire information exchange among our members who use magnetic resonance and to support online and face-to-face meetings of users. We wish to provide a much-needed home base and platform for meetings, communications and other activities of all NMR owners, managers, and users.”
Nomination instructions for the IVAN Founder’s Award
To make a nomination please email a document to the address firstname.lastname@example.org with the heading “A Nomination for the 2023 IVAN Founder’s Award”. Your nomination may be for one individual or multiple individuals acting together. If a nomination with multiple recipients is chosen the recipients will each receive a trophy and split the cash prize. Include the information below:
1. Provide the name, institution, address, phone and email for each recipient that you nominate.
2. Provide your name, institution, address, phone and email as the lead individual making the nomination.
3. If applicable, provide the name and contact information for any additional individuals who are supporting the nomination.
A statement of nomination:
4. Provide a short paragraph summarizing the accomplishments that form the basis of the nomination.
References that support the nomination:
5. Provide specific references to published information that describe the accomplishments and the nominee’s role. For example, references might be to documents in print or online, resulting events or facilities, websites, talks or conference materials. References might also include short statements by individual(s) to be quoted in the nomination document.
6. The lead individual should provide their name, signature and the date for the document. You will be contacted to confirm receipt. Feel free to contact members of the nominating committee about your submission.
Advice in making a nomination:
1. There is no need to be verbose. A page or two will do. Chances are many of us know the nominee.
2. The IVAN Founder’s Award is based on activities that support the mission of IVAN. Eligible accomplishments might be invention, teaching, leadership and/or service that support activities, education, and communication among magnetic resonance users in academia, industry, and the regulatory community. Specific examples could be development of educational materials, support of conferences and events, development of unique facilities for users or simply a noted willingness of the nominee to engage widely with users about their own areas of expertise.
3. You, making the nomination, and the nominee(s) need not necessarily have any relationship with IVAN. Members of the nominating committee and employees of our sponsors (MR Resources and Q.One Instruments) are ineligible for nomination.
Submitting Your Nomination:
All submissions are to be sent to email@example.com
Previous award winners:
2021 Kenneth Sharp-Knott, Department of Chemistry, Virginia Tech University, Award Activity: In April of 2020 Ken enthusiastically embraced the new Idea of IVAN Zoom Meetings, initially to discuss the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on NMR lab operation. These meetings have now become the IVAN Round-table Workshops, given approximately once per month. Ken was a leader in planning several of the first meetings and with his enthusiasm and work he helped interest the rest of us in the project.
2022 Daneen Angwin-Kaerner, Loxo@Lilly Inc., Award Activity: Daneen was a pillar of the SMASH conference organization during her tenure as the secretary and a member of the executive committee. With Daneen’s service contribution SMASH grew by leaps and bounds from a niche conference to a peer recognized premier small molecule conference.